Social Icons

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Serious question: Marlon Byrd, Really?

No, seriously. I don't get it, I'm really asking here. I've been trying to get a grasp of this signing since it has happened to figure out the plan here but I still just can't wrap my head around it. Obviously we all know that the Phillies need a right-handed power bat, some outfield and pitching help but I don't see this filling any of those needs. 

Ok I know he bags from the right side but the power just isn't there. 24 home runs is his career high for a season, which happened last season after a PED suspension the year prior. Jimmy Rollins has 2 seasons with more than 24 homers, yea "Jimmy Hustle" has more power than Byrd. And at the age of 36 I can't envision his power numbers jumping up for the next two years. 

Speaking of 2 years, it seems like Ruben doesn't have any plans of getting any younger any time soon. With the aging core, why wouldn't you add an aging vet to a squad on the downside of their careers? Of course that doesn't even include the option for the third year that could keep Byrd here til the age of 39. Of course the price doesn't help either, 8 mill per does not sound like the type of money you give to a bench player either.  That's the type of money that you are going to give to a someone who is going to be starting. Unfortunately, Marlon Byrd is not a player that is going to be starting on most playoff teams (yea, I know he did last year but he wasn't completely relied on to be a productive bat and came to the pirates towards the end of the season).

Honestly I would have been ok signing Byrd later in the winter as a bench player after exhausting the rest of your options. Instead as it stands we have a starting outfield with the killer B's (Brown, Ben and Byrd) who doesn't inspire much confidence. Maybe I am missing something with this signing or I am not looking at the whole picture somehow, but I don't get it. If anyone at all knows something about this that I don't please enlighten me because Ruben has lost me with this one. 

Quick side note: If these are the types of signings Ruben has planned for the winter, I don't think he is planning to be the GM much longer. 


Goins

No comments:

Post a Comment